Friday, September 24, 2010

WORK @ a bookstore & why the TEXTBOOK section is "CLOSED" + NEW SHORT STORY

For those who don't know I work at the local campus bookstore and we sell super expensive textbooks that cost an arm and a leg. So that being our business we always get some customers who just don't understand why certain things are at the bookstore, for example after the 3 weeks of "Rush" we rope off the textbook section so hat if you need a textbook the book floor staff will be able to get it to you. Unfortunately even people who have gotten into university still can't read the sign that says " Textbook Area is Closed -- Please See Customer Service for Assistance" when they are taped to the dividers, are in big bold letters and in visible view. Anyway that is what is currently happening at the bookstore I work for, I fin it fun to observe university students who think that because the signs there that it's not for them; OH how they are wrong!

I also finished Breakfast of Champions, great novel with very amusing pictures! Now it's time for me to finally finish Any Human Heart by William Boyd. I will probably also final finish watching Watchman, for some reason I can't see it one sitting, maybe it's because I'm easily distracted sometimes.


I'm starting a new project where I'm going to try and post a new short story every night. They will always vary, but I just want to see if people read them and just to get a lot stuff out of my mind. I guess it would be a mind dump in a way, where stuff that influences me will get dumped into a story for all the world to read. Before each story will be a piece of art that is specifically made for it.


There is dust in my bowl. I see a fish swim by. I wonder what would happen to the plant we live on once we are all gone, just as the dust in my bowl. I wander about the room looking for a crack in the wall to look through and see the outside. I finally find a crack, it's just big enough to look through and all I see is a blinding light that is coming from the yard. I exit the room, only to go outside and peer in through the same crack in the wall, but this time I can see the entire world looking back at me as if I'm the sideshow. I step away from the crack only to find myself standing with the stars. I close my eyes to clear my mind.

After a few breaths I open them again only to see that I am still in space looking and wondering how I got here. I slowly notice that I am not standing, but I'm floating, with stardust whizzing about like glitter does. I try to move to get close to some of the stars, but they seem to be running away from me. I try to call out. Nothing. Why is it that whenever one tries to reach out people and things run the opposite way? Is it because of something that was said or an action they found offensive?

I decide to keep to myself. So I curl up into a ball and fell asleep. I dreamt. The dreams started to repeat themselves until I knew them by heart. It's just like a broken record someone is playing and no one can change it to the next song. I finally get out of the cyclical dream and awaken in a mossy field on a cliff. It's cold and I can feel the sea mist rising from the ocean and hitting my face. I look out and the sea seems to be angry, right before a storm. Thunder claps it's hands for me and sends a flash of light into the sea. The clouds light up and I can briefly see all of the layers that make up the storm. The wind picks up and all of a sudden I am lifted away like a leaf on an autumn day.

I hover and float across a field over a stone wall and into someones yard. I fall to the ground and seem to pass out. Only later do I open my eyes and see someone standing over me, waving their hand in front of my eyes as if to make sure I'm alive. I get up in a hurry without any help, to see where I am. I'm still in the same yard that I flew into, but I'm no longer a leaf that was blow by the wind. I stagger and stretch. The person who has found me asks who I am, I tell them "I am here from afar, can you help me get back home?" They respond with a nod of the head and invite me indoors so I can get all warmed up.

I enter their home, a nice stone cottage, with a vegetable garden off to the side overlooking the sea on top of the cliff. The sea is clam and quite, as if there wasn't a storm. Once inside they offer me a chair. I sit. They pour me a cup of warm English tea. The aroma is strong and refreshes me instantly. They leave the room to go get a blanket. While they are out I close my eyes and think of where I've been and how did I ever get here. My journey seems to be a blur, but that doesn't matter now, for I am safe.

 The smell of the tea fills the room and a kettle starts to whistle. I open my eyes only to find that I'm back at home, sitting next to the swimming fish and bowl with the dust. I get up and walk towards the kettle and shut it off, only noticing that I'm still holding the cup that was given to me only moments ago in a completely different and unknown place. I wonder "how is it possible?" and the only thought that comes to mind is "because you really where there and you really did see all the amazing things that no one else has experienced or seen"

I find the crack in the wall again, but this time instead of looking outwards I go back and look inwards only to be transported again on an entirely new journey that will last forever and which will always lead me back to the room with the crack in the wall, the dusty bowl and the swimming fish.

THE END.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment